Experience: 4-10 years
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Assistant Corporation Counsel
Are you an attorney seeking a new career opportunity where you can help make a real difference in a community and impact the lives of others? The Village of Hoffman Estates is seeking a detail oriented, enthusiastic multi-tasker to join our in-house Corporation Counsel team.
The position of Assistant Corporation Counsel performs a variety of legal work for the Village municipal government by providing legal guidance to Village officials and Village staff. This position handles the day-to-day legal responsibilities of the Village and reports to the Corporation Counsel while working collaboratively with the Village Manager and Staff.
Duties includes but are not limited to: assisting with enforcement and protection of the rights of the Village, participating in the prosecution and defense of lawsuits, conducting legal research and drafting legal documents such as legal opinions, memoranda, contracts and ordinances.
This highly responsible position requires strong communication skills, writing/research/editing skills, workflow management skills, a willingness and ability to handle a wide variety of substantive law duties and assignments.
This position assists Corporation Counsel with communication to Village officials and staff, as well as responding to and interacting with business owners, contractors, attorneys, residents, and others within and outside the organization.
There is the potential for advancement within the organization.
2022 annual salary range of $133,000 - $190,000 Starting Salary DOQ
Full benefits including IMRF pension, car allowance, health insurance (starting on 1st day of employment), dental and vision insurance, pre-tax retirement savings options, life insurance and more.
The successful candidate is appointed by the Mayor with the advice and consent of the Village Board.
HOURS AND SCHEDULE
40 hours per week, Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:00a.m. - 5:00p.m. and as otherwise necessary to fulfill the duties of the position. This position will require the attendance at some evening meetings. Opportunities for periodic remote work are possible.
• Professional knowledge of general legal principles and practices, particularly municipal law, real estate law, Open Meetings Act, FOIA and other laws effecting local government operations.
• Skill in analyzing issues in light of the law and interpreting the law accurately.
• Skill in legal research methodologies.
• Skill in preparing legal opinions/memoranda.
• Knowledge and experience in pre-trial preparation and trials/appeals; administrative law practice and municipal code adjudication hearings; property tax issues including commercial property tax appeals; and land use development, including plats and incentive agreements.
• Knowledge of the process and law as related to letters of credit and performance bonds.
•Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills and must demonstrate the ability to maintain confidentiality.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND COMPUTER SKILLS
• Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school
• Admission to the Illinois Bar
• Four - ten years related legal experience - municipal / public agency / real estate law preferred
• Familiarity with Circuit Court of Cook County Electronic Filing System and Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER) Familiarity with Circuit Court of Cook County Electronic Filing System.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Computerized legal research experience required, such as West Law.
Apply at: https://www.hoffmanestates.org/government/human-resources-management/employment-opportunities