Experience: 5 years
Location: Chicago Loop
Area of Practice: Labor
Union Staff Attorney
Teamsters Local 743 in Chicago is seeking an Experienced Staff Attorney with a demonstrated commitment to worker rights.
This position will provide in-house legal counsel and advice to the Union on all labor relations and employment-related matters.
Must be organized and detail oriented and have several years of experience with successful contract negotiations and execution of contract clauses.
Qualifications must include previous experience in acting as liaison between union and employers, legal background, leadership training experience, grievance and arbitration handling, excellent communication skills, flexibility, assisting union members with understanding their rights and enforcing their benefits under the existing contract and working closely with union leaders on behalf of the union and its workers.
• Identify legal risks and provide legal advice and guidance on various labor and employment law matters including, but not limited to, non-discrimination; non- harassment; health and safety; wage and hour laws; internal union governance; organizing; contract negotiations and enforcement; as well as hiring, discipline, and termination matters.
• Handle charges brought before the EEOC, NLRB, and other state equivalent agencies; Department of Labor inquiries; FLSA reviews; and other regulatory matters.
• Lead contract negotiations and represent the Union in arbitrations, litigation, and/or in other adversarial proceedings related to labor and employment matters.
• Provide practical, compliant, and strategic advice and counsel on issues arising under the FMLA, ADA, ADEA, Title VII, OSHA, NLRB, and other federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations.
• Manage disputes, litigation, including class action litigation and litigation brought directly by the EEOC and other adversarial proceedings related to employment law matters.
• Draft and maintain employment-related documents, policies and procedures.
• Monitor proposed employment law legislation and regulations and provide timely updates
• Advise on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion issues.
• Advise other members of the Legal Department, upon request, with respect to areas of employment law expertise
• Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school.
• 5+ years of legal experience working as a labor and employment attorney in either an in-house or law firm setting.
• Strong understanding of U.S. labor and employment laws, including Title VII, ADA, ADEA, NLRA, FMLA, FLSA, and federal immigration laws.
• Admission to the state bar of Illinois (or willingness to become admitted) with an active license and in good standing.
• Ability to adjust to multiple demands in a fast-paced environment.
• Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
• Resilient, results-oriented, and collaborative.
• Unquestioned integrity and professionalism.
• Occasional travel as needed to carry out job responsibilities.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com.