Location: Chicago North Suburbs
Area of Practice: Provide sound / confidential legal advice to the Mayor, City Council, City Manager
City of Evanston-City Attorney/Corporation Counsel
Duties and Responsibilities:
The City Attorney reports to the City Manager and is responsible for providing sound and confidential legal advice to the Mayor, City Council, City Manager, and each of the City's departments.
* With a staff of seven employees, the Law Department advocates on the City's behalf in federal and State courts and before quasi-judicial bodies.
* The City Attorney provides leadership and direction to department directors and other management staff regarding a broad array of legal matters related to constitutional law, land use and planning, public finance, employment, public works, public contracts and bidding, as well as the drafting of ordinances and resolutions.
* The City Attorney works directly with members of the City Council and advises the Council on City rules and procedures. The employee acts as the City's legal representative at administrative hearings and before City Boards, Committees and Commissions, and other State and City administrative boards when directed.
Education and Experience
The selected candidate must possess a Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited school of law. Candidates must be licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois and be admitted to the Federal Bar, preferably the Northern District Court of Illinois. Preferred candidate qualification includes admission to the Federal Trial Bar. Possession of a valid driver's license and a safe driving record is required.
The successful candidate should have:
* Eight or more years legal experience particularly in the field of municipal law, including five (5) years in a supervisory role. Potential candidates must also have substantive trial and administrative hearing experience.
* Thorough knowledge of state and federal laws and established precedents with emphasis on equal protection, due process and civil rights.
* Thorough knowledge of Illinois municipal law and practice and of Robert's Rules of Order.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of clients and staff throughout the City and outside of the organization.
About Our Community
The City of Evanston is contiguous with the City of Chicago, approximately 13 miles from downtown Chicago. Evanston is a vibrant community of 75,000, diverse by race, age, ethnicity, education, religion and economics. The City is home to Northwestern University, Rotary International's World Headquarters, two excellent hospitals, numerous cultural organizations and recreational facilities. Evanston's 75 parks and five beaches along the shore of Lake Michigan are part of the reason so many people choose to make Evanston their home.
$128,507 - $197,050.15 salary (commensurate with experience), IMRF pension, and excellent benefits.
For more details and to apply by the 4/16/18 deadline, please visit the city of Evanston's careers page: