Experience: 5-10 years
Location: Chicago Loop
Area of Practice: High-profile position part of the firm’s Management Team responsible for daily operations / administration of human resources, management of systems / operations
Legal Administrator - Downtown Chicago
Downtown mid-sized Chicago law firm has a rare opportunity for a professional, experienced Legal Administrator to join the firm. This is a very high-profile position that will be part of the firm's Management Team. The Legal Administrator will be responsible for the daily operations and administration of human resources as well as management of systems and operations. In addition, the Legal Administrator will work with firm management to identify and plan for the changing needs of the firm including strategic planning and marketing as well as contributing to cost-effective management of the firm.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Office Administration:
* Supervise non-attorney staff, including Accounting, Legal Secretaries and File Specialists
* Act as Liaison to the President of the firm, managers and attorneys regarding all operations that support client services and needs of the legal staff.
* Assist the firm's President with Strategic Planning for the changing needs of the firm
* Coordinate internal communications with the firm's Management Team to develop office initiatives and educate attorneys, staff, and others about recent developments and trends.
* Develop and implement efficient office procedures and communications to streamline processes and satisfy the firm's needs.
* Coordinate meetings and communications with accountants, insurance advisors, benefits consultants etc.
* Manage all vendor relationships (choice, ordering, reception, negotiate contracts where applicable).
* Ensure that all staff are cross-trained in as many practical positions as possible; developing and implementing back-up plan for all staff positions.
* Develop, communicate, and update Business Continuity Plan to ensure the firm is prepared for potential interruptions in business.
* Review and maintain the firm's medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverages.
* Serve as Liaison with the Office of the Building
* Plan and coordinate all firm events (including monthly Attorney and Management meetings, firm picnic, holiday party, etc.).
* Ensure legal compliance with Federal, State, and Local Employment Laws, as well as reporting regulations affecting human resources functions as required by law.
* Coordinate development of job descriptions for all positions.
* Back up the Practice Manager in preparing contracts and/or compensation descriptions for new and promoted employees.
* Develop and monitor the firm's practices, policies, and procedures.
* Maintain, update and revise Employee Policy Manual and the firm's Operational Manuals.
* Recruit, interview, select non-attorney staff and assist with attorney recruitment.
* Plan and conduct new employee orientation.
* Administer benefits programs for health, life and disability insurances, 401K plans, vacation, sick leave, leave of absence, and employee assistance.
* Maintain records for benefits plans and participation such as insurance and 401K plan transactions--such as hires, promotions, transfers, performance reviews, and terminations.
* Maintain personnel files in a secure and legally compliant manner
* Manage the firm's time and attendance for all employees.
* Oversight of all payroll responsibilities
* Monitor Payroll and Accounts Receivable; ensure that invoices are paid in a timely manner
* Serve as the firm's Systems Administrator, including management of all technology vendor relationships, including those with firm's IT, telecommunications, copiers and security system vendors.
* Ensure that the firm's technology needs in the present are being met and planned for in the future.
* Troubleshoot telephone system and coordinating service of the system
* Troubleshoot facsimile machines, printers, scanners and coordinating services
* Maintain the firm's security system
* Coordinate the acquisition and installation of office equipment, telecommunications, computers and facsimile machines etc.
* Problem solving
* Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from a four-year accredited college or university required; MBA or JD is preferred
* 5-10 years' experience in law firm management
* Combination of secondary education and experience is required
Please submit your resume and salary requirements in confidence to