Experience: 5-7 years
Location: Grand Rapids
Area of Practice: Litigation
Chief Marketing Officer (CMO)
ABOUT THE FIRM
For more than 130 years, clients have trusted Varnum for excellence, innovation and superior delivery of legal services. Over the years, as the needs of our clients have become more complex, we have kept pace by expanding our areas of practice, our understanding of evolving trends and issues, and our ability to harness technology effectively.
Today, Varnum is firmly established as one of Michigan's premier law firms. A full-service provider of legal counsel, Varnum has a strong core of experience. We have 180 lawyers, spanning numerous practice areas, across 7 Michigan office locations.
Varnum clients represent a diverse range of business and legal interests: manufacturers, financial institutions, health care providers, professional groups, municipalities, colleges and universities, school districts, developers, publishers, retailers, governmental units, transportation, trade associations and charitable organizations.
Our team approach to client service provides a platform to maintain close personal relationships that traditionally exist between lawyer and client, while ensuring the client also has available to them the full resources of the firm.
Our culture is mutually supportive and focused on teamwork as a means to achieve success. At every level of the firm, we are committed to creating a spirit of community as we strive to provide excellent client service and an enjoyable working environment for our attorneys and staff.
We are seeking a Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) who will work closely with the firm's Co-Managing Partners, the Marketing Advisory Committee, and the Executive Director. The CMO will be based in Grand Rapids or in one of our other office locations, and will be expected to travel to the other offices as needed.
The CMO will lead the firm's Marketing Department and manage a team of professionals responsible for the firm's marketing and business development, including: market position/brand; strategic and tactical planning for practice, client and industry teams; business development training; RFP responses; internal and external communications; events; the firm's website and other digital marketing; and marketing-related technologies.
The CMO is responsible for ensuring that the firm's marketing strategy and tactics are aligned with the firm's strategies. The CMO must be strategic, an excellent manager, and an outstanding ambassador for the firm. The CMO must be an advocate for the Marketing Department, explaining its priorities and investments in a compelling way to the partnership, ensuring strong support among the firm's lawyers.
• Develop the firm's overall marketing and business development plan, working with Co-Managing Partners, Practice Management Leaders and Practice Team Leaders.
• Identify practice areas and attorneys for specific business development and cross-selling focus.
• Identify opportunities to expand the range and volume of legal services to existing clients.
• Develop training programs and coach attorneys in best practice tools and skill enhancement related to business development.
• Oversee 7 Marketing Department staff (currently).
• Manage relations with external providers of services such as website, media relations, business development coaching, and marketing-related technologies.
• Implement marketing-related technologies.
• Oversee development of effective collateral material, including proposals, practice/industry descriptions, client alerts, newsletters, and announcements.
• Manage external and internal communications, including promotion of firm and attorney awards, rankings and accomplishments.
• Serve as department liaison and collaborate with other senior administrators (e.g., Finance, HR, IT, Library, and Recruiting).
• Establish metrics to track department's performance and report to management regularly.
• Develop, monitor and manage the firm's marketing and business development budget.
High energy and professional commitment are essential. Well-developed interpersonal skills are mandatory to ensure effective communication and proactive leadership. Law firm and/or professional service firm experience highly desired.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
• Excellent strategic thinking and analytical skills.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to lead, motivate and work with a positive attitude in a high performing team.
• Ability to multitask and work under pressure on a large number of initiatives simultaneously.
• Ability to work collaboratively with attorneys, other department heads and teams.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS
Candidates must have a bachelor's degree, preferably in communications, journalism, marketing or a related field. A graduate degree (e.g., MBA) strongly preferred. 5-7 years of successful marketing or sales experience required.
Varnum LLP offers a professional work environment, and competitive compensation and benefits. The firm will assist with relocation costs, if needed. Please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Dawn Stephenson at firstname.lastname@example.org.