Experience: 5+ years
Location: Chicago Loop
Company Name: Sidley Austin LLP
Position Title: Docket Specialist - 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Location(s): Chicago, Illinois, United States
This role may be based in our Chicago or Washington D.C. office. A docket specialist is responsible for the daily activities of the docket and court services department. This includes docketing relevant dates and running reports as well as the filing, serving and retrieval of court documents (physical and/or electronic) and the processing of incoming court documents (paper and/or electronic).
Schedule is Monday - Friday 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
* Enters upcoming court/due dates and related documents into our automated docketing system and reviews docketing records to ensure correct assessment of deadlines and accuracy of database;
* Provides information and answers procedural questions posed by attorneys, paralegals and other support staff;
* Reviews documents served and filed by the firm for form and procedural compliance;
* Files documents, both conventionally and electronically, with local and out-of-area courts;
* Provides necessary follow-up to attorneys, paralegals and secretaries regarding input of calendared events;
* Appears in court for routine motion calls;
* Arranges for issuance and service of summons and subpoenas;
* Retrieves docket sheet and pleadings from court or via outside vendors;
* Downloads and dockets federal court filings from docket email box;
* Stays current on court procedure and rule changes;
* Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the Duties and Responsibilities (Duties) above satisfactorily and meet the requirements below. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. If you need such an accommodation, please email
(current employees should contact Human Resources).
Education and/or Experience:
* Minimum 5 years docket/law clerk experience
* High School diploma
* Demonstrated familiarity with government agencies, federal, state and local court systems and their associated rules
* Experience with rules-based calendaring software (e.g. CompuLaw, eDockets or ProLaw), PACER and electronic filing systems
* Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat and Excel
* Minimum 5 years of E-Filing experience
* Bachelor's degree (B.A.) or equivalent relevant experience
* Experience with Law Bulletin/JuraLaw, Bloomberg Law, Lexis CourtLink or West CourtExpress
Other Skills and Abilities:
In addition to the above, the following may also be required of the successful candidate:
* Excellent organizational skills
* Excellent attention to detail
* The use of good judgment and good interpersonal communication skills
* Developed analytical and problem solving skills
* Works harmoniously and effectively with others as part of a team
* A self-starter who desires to show ownership and commitment to the job
* Exercises confidentiality and discretion Sidley Austin LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer